Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Production Diary #8

We're getting very close to the end of filming on "People Like Us"... Only three shooting days left!

The last two days have been very productive. This past Sunday, we shot with Rachel and Thom. It was Thom's first out of two days as Bruce. It's a small role, but it's not an easy one. I'm always impressed by the actors who play the smaller roles because they have less time to make their characters interesting. Once you see the movie, you'll understand more about what I'm saying regarding Thom's character. He's got to do a lot in a small amount of scenes and he's got to generate sympathy from the audience almost immediately. Thom's a talented guy and I was really happy to work with him again. He's always a blast to have on set.

Tuesday, we shot with Rachel and Kira. It's been about a month since we shot with these two girls and I totally missed them. They're such a pleasure to work with. It was an easy day and we were done ahead of schedule. Kira's only got one day left and it's going to be sad to say good-bye to her on this movie.

I want to take a moment and mention the people who work behind the camera with me. The first is my cameraman, Mike Robinson. Mike and I have known each other for almost three years now. We first met in late 2005 when he shot "Dorian" for me. He really is brilliant and has become an indispensable collaborator. Since then, he's also shot "Angels on Fire" and now "People Like Us". If I have my way, he'll shoot all my movies.



The second is our wonderful makeup artist, Jess Lee Johnson. I love this girl. Last fall, she worked on "Angels on Fire" as the makeup effects artist. She wasn't the only makeup artist on that movie and she wasn't on set everyday, but we got along instantly and I wanted to work with her more, so we brought her on solo to do this movie. Best thing to happen to the flick. We have so much fun and she's incredibly easy to work with. Are we noticing a theme to my praise? I love people that make my life easier. There's so much to film-making that has to be stressed over that I really enjoy it when I can surround myself with relaxed people who know how to have fun while delivering a good product at the same time. With Jess, that's always what you get - great work while smiling.



This weekend will see two of our last three days. On Saturday, we're shooting with Rachel, James, and Thom. Sunday, we're back with Alma and Anne. I'll be back on Monday with another report. Stay tuned!

~Vincent~

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home